- Some tenderness in the first few days is normal. Painkillers may be used where necessary
- If sore spots develop on the inside of the lips or cheeks, apply softened, relief wax to smooth the offending sharp end
- It is very important to clean well to avoid the serious long-term problem of permanent staining or decay around brackets
- Your treatment may be terminated at the discretion of the orthodontist if you do not clean well enough
- Cleaning should be done 3 times a day with a session lasting about 5 minutes
- Cleaning should involve the tongue, gums and all tooth surfaces and should be according to the demonstration you have been given
- Use an alcohol-free mouthwash once a day, before bed is best
- Use disclosing tablets once a week to identify problem areas
- Hard, sticky or crunchy foodstuffs must be avoided such as crusty bread, pizza crusts, toffees, boiled sweets, ice cubes, nuts etc.
- No chewing gum
- Foodstuffs such as apples, carrots etc need to be cut up into small pieces
- Avoid fizzy drinks altogether. Soft chocolate may be allowed
- Do not bite fingernails or chew pens and pencils!
- Avoid products with high sugar levels. Choose diluted or artificially sweetened drinks or even better, water.
Breakages of the braces may extend your treatment time significantly and are to be avoided. All breakages should be reported immediately to the surgery.
If you follow the above guidelines and the instructions you received you will have something to smile about!!!